Advanced Level Classes & Teams
The U.S. Figure Skating Aspire program is the bridge between Learn to Skate group classes and U.S. Figure Skating membership. Through the development of athleticism and artistry, skaters build a solid skill foundation that drives success on and off the ice. The Aspire Program is designed to help skaters learn how to train. From edge classes to endurance challenges, you’ll learn how to warm up like a champion, navigate freestyle sessions, and practice on your own.
For our graduates of the Aspire Class and all LTS Levels who are training for their first USFS tests at the pre-preliminary level. Students in this class must have a current membership at BFSC / Pelham Skate School & Aspire Academy Aspire Level. We will work on elements to help you pass your first Skating Skills and Singles tests.
What to Expect
- 20 minutes of off-ice warm-up before class
- One hour of instruction
- 20 minutes of off-ice training (jumps, flexibility, etc.) along with concurrent parent education sessions.
- Aspire Classes are taught by Coaches Phillip Bagnall and Brooklyn Bachman.
- 5:15 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. - Warm-up rinkside with skates on
- 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. - On-ice class
- 6:30 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. - Skates off
- 6:45 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. - Off-ice training
A new session of Aspire opens on October 3rd.
Per US Figure Skating, Aspire requires an annual Birmingham Figure Skating Club (BFSC)/Pelham Skate School & Aspire Academy membership. The membership fee is $40 and includes:
- Eligibility to participate in Aspire programming
- One Aspire Parent Membership
- Eligibility to compete. Permitted competition levels with this membership are:
- Preliminary and lower
- Adult bronze and lower
- Eligibility to take the following introductory tests:
- Pre-preliminary skating skills and singles
- Adult pre-bronze skating skills and singles
- The 12 preliminary dances
Note: The names of the tests have changed. Moves in the field tests are now skating skills, and free skate tests are now singles.
- Sign up for your Pelham Skate School & Aspire Academy / BFSC Aspire Membership
- Sign up for the Aspire Academy
- Sign up for Aspire Elite
- For skaters who have passed Learn to Skate levels and are working on their first USFS test
Family and multiple-class discounts are available.
Improve your skating ability and coordination with a unique blend of ballet, dance, isometrics, and Pilates:
- Balance and rhythm
- Control and endurance
- Core strength
- Increase the range of movement
- Muscle conditioning
- Overall confidence
- Tone and tune the body line
Required for off-ice classes:
- Exercise mat
- Tennis shoes
- Light workout clothing
- Skating attire
Ballet shoes are welcome but not required.
Students must be seven years old or older to enroll in private lessons. This class is taught by Mark Militano. Sign up for Off-Ice for Figure Skaters
Skaters are expected to attend class ready to learn and with a positive attitude. Any specialty class skater who is disruptive will be dismissed.
- Skaters are expected to be respectful of their instructors and be willing to learn.
- Being ready to learn includes your state of mind as well as your skating attire.
- To participate in all Academy classes, including Aspire, Dance, Synchro, and Speed Skating, skaters must wear athletic-type clothing (leggings, fitted tops, and jackets). No baggy clothing is allowed.
- Have hair pulled back in a ponytail or bun if the hair is long enough.
- Wear appropriate gym shoes for off-ice warm-up.
- Bring a water bottle.